Thursday, December 28, 2006

Scratch Your Eyes Out!

While driving home from the post office, I noticed a hawk on the light post near the tennis court. I was only a block from home, so I grabbed my camera and headed back to the tennis court. The car door opened slowly as I tried to sneak up on the bird. It didn't work, because as I stepped out, it flew off of its perch.

Lucky for me, the bird landed on a tree not far from where I was parked. I put the zoom lens on my camera and started taking my pictures. I slowly stepped toward the tree. The bird was certainly watching me now. I paced in a semi circle around the tree. With every pass I got a little closer. It seemed to go on for an hour but it had only been about ten minutes. I continued to take pictures as I walked. As I took the camera down from my face, I realized I was now only about ten feet from this magnificent bird. The branch he was sitting on was only about seven feet off the ground. As I made my semicircular passes, he would turn his head to keep an eye on me.

He started to look a little twitchy and I realized I wouldn't be allowed to get much closer. I stood still for a moment, admiring this creature. That moment, I looked at the long, sharp, talons and realized this creature could claw my eyes out at any moment.

Images of me running back to the car screaming with a hawk tangled in my hair rushed through my head. I squinted my eyes thinking my eyelids would protect me in case of attack. I took two more pictures. Then I took a daring step toward the hawk to get even closer. The hawk took off and flew over the lake.

I walked back to the car. Not screaming, and with both my eyes intact.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cartoon!!! hehe. Awesome pic though.

Anonymous said...

I really like this photo too! Its funny. I hardly ever see hawks and on Christmas day (driving to mom's) Marky and I saw 3 hawks! It was really neat. Have a super week, man.
Are you enjoying the Wii as much as you hoped you would?

Anonymous said...

Looks like it could have been the Sierra Mist Holiday Hawk

Michelle said...

Audrey Scratched my eye, and I just haven't gotten around to posting about it yet. You are lucky, because its was very painful.

Mojo Jojo said...

What a beautiful picture.

That just reminds me that I need to put my camera back into the truck.