Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Snipe

Over Memorial weekend, we went camping.  Tent camping.  In the rain.   It was great.  
We went with some friends of ours who also tent camped in the rain.  I think people that camp in a camper are not really camping.  There must be another name for it, but if you have a bathroom, kitchen, and a bed, you can't call it camping.   Anyway, that's a topic for a different post. 

While we were camping, my friend said he wanted to show the kids how to hunt for snipes.  It was evening and the kids were starting to get a bit rowdy around camp.   He took the kids to the side of the campsite near some trees and gave them each a plastic bag.  He told them to hold their flashlights into the bags to catch a snipe.   I had never hunted snipes before and I was just as interested as the kids.

A snipe is a small, rabbit type of creature and you have to be very quiet to lure them into your bag.  Once you are shining your light into the bag, you should quietly call out, "Here snipe."

Once he got them started he told me to follow him back to the camp fire.  That's when I realized that it was a lie!  This wonderful little game kept the kids nice and quiet at the base of those trees.  After about five minutes my friend called the kids back to the camp fire and told them it was too warm to catch snipes that night. 

And to think that I was about to ask for my own snipe catching bag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey D.H. I had a nice time reading the last couple of "blogger weeks." We're going to Starved Rock this weekend for my son's birthday. I'll have to come up with something handy like catching snipes. Heh heh. It was also cool to read about the long lost Bible owner - ahhh.... you know what I mean.
Have a neat-O week. ;-)
Abbie