Thursday, March 01, 2012

Liberty 100 Years Apart

I saw this old photo posted on a local website.  He credits the original poster to our current mayor.
That is a photo of Liberty, SC from around 1900.
Looks like a traffic jam to me, with the front cart oxen taking a nap. . . or dying.  Below, is my photo of the same stretch of street.

The tan building - the 2nd two story building is the first building in the old photo.

I found that it is much harder than you may think to perfectly line up two photos.  You have to know where the photographer was standing, what type of lens he was using, etc. . .
Anyway, it was really interesting to see such an old photograph of a place that I pass almost daily.  Incredible to see these buildings with wagons parked outside on a dirt road.  I love history.


2 comments:

jen(melty) said...

that's pretty awesome, I love stuff like that. When we bought our first house we took a video of us driving from our condo to the house... it's only been 10 years and things are VERY different I intend to go out and take more pictures at some point, esp since they are planning a major reconstruction of the main intersection in town. Every day I drive and think that I'm going 50 mph on a country route and based on all the zoned realtor signs, someday I'll be sitting in traffic haha.

atlibertytosay said...

Very observant post and awesome photoshop stitching!

Thanks for linking to atlibertytosay.com