Friday, November 14, 2014

Missed a Vote

I'll be honest with you.  I didn't vote last week.  I believe that is the first time I haven't voted since having the ability to do so.

There's not a lot of excuses for my not voting but as I thought more about it I think a few things happened.

One, we no longer have cable television and we only watch Netflix and Hulu.  This puts us out of the loop on political advertising.  A blessing for sure but it does mean I become less aware of the issues being argued.

I also don't read the local newspaper or watch local news except for catching headlines from local media on Twitter where I will click through to stories.  Again, this puts me out of the loop except for headline type stories.

As we got to election day I was aware that it was time to vote but I really felt disconnected and unaware of exactly who / what I would be voting for.   On Tuesday morning, as we headed back home from our camping trip, I decided that I would abstain from voting this round because I was unaware of true issues.

I'm pretty disappointed with myself and I have decided to be more active in finding local stories to keep me more in tune with the politics of my State.  I won't be missing the vote again.

No comments: