Thursday, February 10, 2005

A privileged life

Sometimes people feel they should receive special treatment. Is this warrenented? My dad always told me it's who you know. Not only was he right, but Cari demands we follow this rule.

Cari paid a visit to the store that I'm an assistant manager at, yesterday. I was in the back doing interviews when she came in. After I finished the interview, I checked my cell phone because I felt it vibrating during the interview. I had a text message from Cari, "Please call. in aisle 10". She had already left by this time, so I called her at home.
"Hey. I'm coming home for lunch."
"I hate going to your store!", she told me. I could immediately tell she did not have a good visit.
She continued, "I waited in aisle 10 for no less than 30 minutes for someone to help me!".
"The girls working over there called in today.", as I tried to find a satisfactory reason.
"So you are telling me nobody else in the store can help me?!!"
"Well, the . . ." I tried to answer, but she wouldn't allow it.
"What about the three people that walked past me and would not even come into the aisle? What about the two guys standing at the desk talking?"
"Oh, those guys at the desk were busy.", I was sure about this, and besides, these guys know nothing about aisle 10. I don't need to tell you that this was not a satisfactory answer.
"I am the managers wife!"
Maybe she wasn't wearing her name tag. I continued trying to defend my store, "No other customers complained to me today, so it must just be a freak thing." This made things worse.
"Everytime I go into that store, I can not find anyone to help me!"
I thought about asking her if she tried talking to the manager while she was there. Then, I thought I better not.

Cari went to church that night and told some people that she had a less than perfect experience at my store. They all agreed, that, as the managers wife, she should receive only the best treatment. One of the other people at church said he was in the store that same day and had a great experience. His wife isn't even a manager.

That night I held a store meeting at closing time. I held up an 8x10 of Cari.
"This is my wife. She will receive nothing short of the best customer service, just as we provide to all our customers. Please. I'm begging you."

No comments: