Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Be GLAD about HEFTY

I'm going to tell this story as I remember it.

Rick and his family had come over for dinner one day last week. We needed to make a quick trip to the grocery store for one item. Rick volunteered to go, and I volunteered to help him. For me, going to the grocery store is like going on a field trip. On our way out the door, Cari told me to pick up a box of kitchen garbage bags. I was told to get the ones that have draw strings. She specified Glad or Hefty brand. Which ever is cheaper was the instruction I remember.

After we picked up our one item, Rick and I headed to find the bags. We approached that section, and I went to work doing my shopping.

Shopping is not complicated, and I try not to make it complex. First thing I did was scan the pictures on the boxes for the draw strings. Next I located a brand. First one that caught my eye was Hefty. Several size boxes were available so I chose the largest box on the shelf. Shopping is not fun, and I do not want to be making this trip again anytime soon.

As we headed to the front my team mate questioned my purchase. "Cari said she wanted Glad.", He said.
"These were cheaper.", I replied with confidence. Then I continued, "besides, she said they could be Glad or Hefty."
Rick had that uncertain expression on his face, "Well, she said she prefers Glad. Anyway, you did NOT comparison shop, I saw you pick that one up without a second thought."

This dialogue went on for a while as we were checking out. After telling him I was "pretty sure" the Hefty was cheaper, he laughed. The truth is no comparison shopping took place. The Hefty box had a pretty picture of what I was there to get. I didn't even look at the price until I had to pay the cashier.

Rick continued to contest my decision to the point I thought he was working for Cari.
When we arrived back at my house, we left the box outside. We were going to ask Cari what brand she wanted. Rick claimed that she REALLY wanted the Glad bags. While I said she would accept either.

I entered the kitchen. "On those bags, what brand did you say to get?", I asked Cari.
She said, "Glad."
Quickly finding a way to recover I helped her along, "Glad or what other brand would you like?"
Rick was already doing a victory dance as Cari replied, "I wanted Glad. You can get Hefty if they were on sale."
There was my way in. I jumped in with, "Or cheaper, right?"

Rick was about to tell her I didn't comparison shop, but Cari beat him to an answer by saying Hefty was only acceptable if they were on sale.

After hearing the answer, I headed back to the porch to retrieve my Hefty bags. As I did this, I think Rick was giving Cari a hug.

Not that it matters, but the Hefty bags seem to be working just fine for our kitchen garbage.

1 comment:

John said...

Dang, you at least remembered the bags. If it were me, I'd come home with Cheetos and steak and fifteen other things, none of them being trash bags.