Friday, May 02, 2008

It's pretty good

Last week I had lunch with my good friend Rick. A coworker suggested a small Italian restaurant located about five minutes down the road.

Rick and I found this place and told the owner that the coworker suggested we stop in. She instantly treated us like royalty. The waitress was told to serve us with exceptional care. The waitress was doing her best but she didn't realize the two guys she would be dealing with would be so difficult.

I ordered an Italian sub. The waitress said, "That's REALLY good!" as she wrote my order down. She looked up at Rick for his order. "I'll have the Philly steak sub.", he said. She wrote it down without a remark and started to walk off. I looked at Rick and laughed. "Mine will be REALLY good.", I pointed out to him.

He stopped the waitress from leaving our table to quiz her about the quality of his order. After trying to laugh her way out of it, she told Rick his sub is "pretty good".

So my food will be VERY good and Rick's might be pretty good. She claims she never had the Philly steak so she didn't know. "Well, has ANYONE ever had the Philly steak?", Rick asked.

She said people have probably had it and that she didn't remember any complaints about it. I asked Rick if her answers made him feel good about ordering it. He just about had the poor girl's nerves tore up before she walked off.

It didn't take long to get our food and I'll tell you what, it was EXCELLENT. I was first to take a bite and Rick watched for a reaction. I told him the waitress was right on with what she said about my lunch. That made him nervous. Would she be right that his is "pretty good"? He took a bite and said that it was also excellent. We flagged down the waitress so Rick could educate her on the quality of his lunch. He recommended her to try it someday but she didn't look too interested.

On the way out, the owner asked us how everything was. We told her we enjoyed it and would be back someday. She wouldn't let us leave until each of us recieved a big hug.

Good food, fair price, funny waitress, and a hug. What a lunch!

6 comments:

Poptart said...

Sounds like a good time. Now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Dude - you gotta give us the name of the place. Don't leave us hanging!

Duck Hunter said...

Romano's Italian Restaurant in Anderson, SC
4126 Clemson Blvd.

Let me know if you want to meet up there some day. I'll be happy to go back.

One Scrappy Gal said...

I hope the waitress didn't spit in your sandwiches for irritating her so. You forgot the cardinal rule...never annoy anyone that handles your food!! :)

RoadRunner said...

Scrappy is right. I used to work in a restaurant when I was in high school. Even though I was a lowly buffet runner, I would overhear the servers talking about giving customers a "sneezer"

Aaron said...

AND a hug? Now that's service!