Monday, September 21, 2009

Scribblenauts!

If you own a Nintendo DS then you need to go get a copy of Scribblnauts today.

Here's the website: SCRIBBLENAUTS

The game presents you with a series of challenges (200 + levels) and you decide how to solve each one.  In one situation, there is a man standing on an island.  You are told "Get him off the island."   The first time I solved this puzzle I typed kayak into the game and a small kayak appeared.  I gave it to the man and completed the level.  Another time I typed in "front loader" and a yellow construction vehichle appeared and I shoved him off of the island.  There are endless ways you can do this.  There are over 20,000 words recognized by the game and you are free to solve each puzzle in any way that you think may work.

Another example is an early level with a butterfly flying above your head.  You are told to get the butterfly.  It is too high up to get with a net. What would you use?

Scribblenauts is unlike any game that I have ever played.  Being able to type in any object and see it appear in the game is really cool.  Yes, certain items are more useful than others, and you can use those items for a lot of levels.  But I've been having more fun trying to create new ways to solve problems.  In fact, you are rewarded if you can solve a level three times in a row without repeating any items.

You can also create your own levels and share them with friends online.  So anyone reading this, let me know if you go get the game.  I've been playing it this week and I'm just now starting to feel creative with my solutions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read something about this in nintendo power awhile ago... had no idea it was out by now. Thanks to your post I was going to run out and buy it for T for our anniversary but he beat me to it! I've been playing all day and it's pretty cool. It took me forever to get past that bee/pirhana level but despite some tricky things you have to work around (maybe I'm just uncoordinated) it's really fun.

Anonymous said...

Can you read the challenge questions or do you have to hear it?

Do you ever play Animal Crossing anymore?

Duck Hunter said...

you can play Scribblenauts just fine without sound!

Haven't played Animal Crossing in a while. A few times I do turn it on, I always open the gates! Probably need help pulling weeds and planting flowers now.