Saturday, November 06, 2010

Dad's Diner

Woah!  It's my turn to cook dinner again.  The kids were excited about this the first few times.   Now they've learned to fear it.

And fear it they should.

My recipe book is not a very big book.  The pages are full of Domino's Pizza phone numbers and stuff you can grill.

The first night I cooked dinner I decided to make hamburgers.  I thought I'd get a bit creative and I made thin patties.  Then I stacked them like sandwiches and put swiss cheese in the middle.

The idea worked great.  It was a cheese burger with cheese in the middle.  But they were kinda plain.

A few weeks later I was ready to try burgers again and the kids seemed good with this.  This time, no cheese.  I wanted to spice them up a bit.  As I formed the patties this time I added Cayenne pepper.  Just a tiny bit. . . at first.  It didn't look I had added much so I started really pouring it on.

At dinner time everyone ate, and nobody was saying anything.  But I knew.  I could TASTE it.  Wow!  The burgers were SO peppery.  Randy ate half of his and said he was done.  This is the boy that would normally eat two with no problem.

This week I'll be cooking again.  Should I try another page out of my cook book or am I going to scar my children forever?  I think I might try that page with the Domino's number on it.

No comments: