Friday, April 29, 2011

The Relationship

Are little black ants required for your Peony blooms to open?  
 It's funny because I have never seen these ants in my yard until the flowers showed up this year.  I asked Cari about it and she said she figured the ants would show up.  Anytime she has ever seen a Peony it had the black ants climbing on the blooms.  In fact, there is a tale that the ants are required for the tightly wrapped buds to open.
In fact, the ants are not required.  You can have beautiful flowers without the ants, but the two have a very special relationship.  The ants are actually eating a sugary coating on the flowers.  At the same time the ants help protect the plant from other insects.

I'm thinking about starting a special relationship between these ants and my roses.  Those roses seem to attract more insects and problems than blooms.

No comments: