Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Win a Trip?

Are promotions like this really selling any more crackers?  I bought them --- ok, truth time... I don't buy anything... Cari bought them.... but the point is, she didn't buy them because she thought she would win a trip to Hawaii.  In fact, she probably didn't even look at the back of the box.

So my first problem with the promotion is that it is unnecessary and only noticed by men and children. Both of which are too lazy to complete the necessary parts to enter the contest.  Women will only look at the back of the box or enter the contest if one of the above mentioned groups pesters them to look at it.

My second issue with this "contest" is who wins?  Have you ever met the winner of one of these contests? Me either.  How many boxes of Wheat Thins will sell during the contest period?  What are the odds of winning?  There's more people buying Wheat Thins in Los Angeles than in the entire county I live in.  So, with all that cracker money, Nabisco is going to only hand out ONE trip?  Right, I know they are offering "+1,000s of other prizes" - but there is nothing worth winning if you aren't being flown to Hawaii.

This also reminded me of when I was living in Florida and a national promotion would offer the winner a trip to Disney World.  Really? That wasn't even half a days drive away.   I wonder if the boxes of Wheat Thins that get shipped to Hawaii have a different contest.  "Win a trip to Boston", it might read.  Could you imagine a Hawaiian thinking, "I can't wait to get out of here and go to Boston."  ?

Anyway the crackers have since been eaten and the box recycled.  I didn't bother to enter their contest.

No comments: