Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shoeless Racing

While we were watching the band practice at the high school stadium last week my brother, nephew, and I started trash talking each other about having a race around the track.  This continued as we got home and the talk became about a race around the block.

A few minutes later the race (approx .6 miles) was arranged and we were lining up.  That's when my brother decided he didn't have the proper footwear and would just go barefoot.  To make a fair race, we all went barefoot and everyone not racing came out of the house to watch the excitement.

At the top of the hill my nephew had a decent lead with me in second.  As we went down the hill he extended his lead and by the half mark I was already losing sight of him.  I was getting pretty tired and I was ready to walk for a stretch.  Before slowing down, I looked back and saw my brother.  He wasn't that far behind me.  If I slowed down at all he would be all over me.

I ran to the 3/4 mark and looked back again.  He was gaining on me.  The next section would be uphill and I was hoping to gain some ground on him there.  I pushed harder and wouldn't allow myself to walk.  By the top of the hill I had pulled the gap to what it previously was.  My nephew had already finished.

In the driveway, the non-runners were cheering us on and I noticed that the neighbor had joined the group.  I certainly wasn't going to walk the last stretch now.  I ran the last flat section to finish in second.

We didn't earn any trophies that evening.  Just blisters.  Maybe next time we'll wear shoes.  Maybe.

No comments: