Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hacker!

Last Friday night I stayed up until 3am learning to be a hacker.  As time with my current Android phone has progressed I became more and more disgusted with this particular model.  My biggest complaint with the phone I have is Verizon forcing certain software onto the phone and not allowing me to remove it.  

My second complaint was that Verizon has given up on updating the phone so getting the latest software means buying a new phone.

That's when I decided to become a hacker and put the software that I want on the phone.  As I was reading I realized that it was very possible to fix the phone that the way I wanted it.  It was also very possible to completely break my phone and render it useless.

I read the process of "rooting" my phone and then I read about the problems people encountered before I even touched my phone.    At three in the morning I decided I had studied enough and went to bed.   Saturday morning I was drinking my coffee as I reviewed my notes one more time.  I plugged the phone into the computer and went back to the good ol' command prompt.
 Ah!  This brings back the memories of working with DOS.  You remember DOS, right?

The first process did take a couple of hours, but before lunch I was sending out my first text.  I never encountered any major issues that would have caused me to sweat.  The phone has been given new life.  Now that the phone is hacked and the security broken, any more updates I put in will take about fifteen minutes to implement.   

Is there any kind of hacker certificate that I should be applying for?  I just hope hackers don't have to stay up until 3am every Friday night.

3 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

DOS? What's DOS??

(only kidding)

I considered hacking my old droid, but converted to iphone instead!

Tom said...

Congratulations!

I hacked my 3 year old HTC Incredible when the warranty ran out on it, and have never regretted in. One of the best things is the ability to use it as a WiFi hotspot.

Unfortunately, the phone is getting slower and slower, and I think it needs to be replaced. I don't know if I'll go the iPhone route like Farm Girl or stick with Android.

Duck Hunter said...

I'm really enjoying this phone so much more right now, but I've got my eye on the new Nexus 4.