Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day Walk

One of the things I tend to look for in my cemetery walks are markers of veterans.  We found many in our walk in Liberty last week.
Markers for just a few of the veterans buried there:

Notice: William A Richbourg, a veteran of both World Wars.

While not a veteran, Ben Robertson Jr. was a corespondent during the second World War and an author of several books.  He died in a plane crash while covering the war in Europe.

When we got home we were curious about some of the names we had seen and started a search at the Find A Grave website.  This website has improved so much over the years and now contains a lot of photos and additional information.

For example, buried in the cemetery Cari and I walked last week is Pvt William A. McWhorter, a WW2 Congressional Medal of Honor recipient.

I'll warn you, that it can become a tangled web of time wasting if you aren't careful.  I found myself clicking on a name, which would lead to me to a sibling or a parent buried somewhere else which lead me to a story about a spouse and before you knew it thirty minutes was gone.  (SQUIRREL!)

Also in the cemetery, we found this walled section that was in a corner alone in an old section.  Inside the markers were all from the 1800's.

It was interesting as we stood near this marker, placed nearly 150 years ago, that remains today.  Another marker described the person as a dedicated husband and father.  He died when he was 18.

I think it is good sometimes to take a walk in a cemetery and think about those that were here before us.  While we are there, we should specifically seek those that fought for us to be here today.

No comments: