Monday, July 07, 2014

The Race Home!

During our family vacation last month, my friend was on vacation with his family.

It happened that we were both heading home on the same day and both had the goal of driving straight home.  We were in Florida and he was out west somewhere.  I texted him, "Race you home on Saturday".  

He didn't think it was fair because they had farther to go.  The next morning he texted me.
"If you are home by 8pm you win.  If I'm home by midnight, I win.  If we both make those times, it's a tie."

Kids!  Get in the car!  We got to get movin'!

Throughout the day we would text from rest areas and bathroom breaks.  We were both tracking on our goal but with every potty break I was getting closer and closer to the edge.  

With 30 minutes left to drive my family begged me to stop at the convenient store for snacks.   Are you kidding me!!  I'm not stopping, we were too close on time.  

At 7:45 I texted a family photo from in front of the house.  We made it!

At 11:30 he texted me that he made it.  

Would I have made it by 8 without the prompting of a race?  I don't know.  Maybe I would have stopped for snacks twenty minutes from home.  

No comments: