Friday, August 22, 2014

Kayaking on the river. . .lake

I was invited to spend a day kayaking on a mountain lake where the Chattooga river flows into.  It took me about one second to accept the invitation.

The spot that was we started this adventure on is beautiful.  A man made lake among the mountains where the Chattooga river flows into.

We moved upstream toward a small set of falls, checking out some small waterfalls on our way.


During a break along a narrow piece of shore, I attempted to get out of my boat.  I saw the sandy bottom and lifted my right leg out of the boat and. . . I half fell in.  With one foot sinking into the mud and the other still in the boat I made four attempts to either get to shore or climb into the boat.   Meanwhile, my partner sat in his boat laughing.

Once we reached the falls we sat and admired them for a minute and just before we were heading back we saw a rafting group coming down the river.

We hustled back to the dock in a slight breeze and scared every sunning turtle that we saw.

I was a bit tired after our five mile paddling adventure but I was glad I had quickly accepted the invitation.

3 comments:

Tom Taylor said...

Is this Tugaloo Lake? I've been wanting to paddle that section myself. Definitely need to do that now.

Now that you've been bitten by the kayaking bug, if you ever want to go again, let me know. I've got several spare boats.

Laura A said...

Looks fun! (other than the falling out) Kayaking is on my "I'd like to do that someday" list

Duck Hunter said...

Tom, yep, Tugaloo lake. It was a good beginner spot for me. Nice calm lake without a ton of traffic.

I still prefer hiking to being in a boat, but it was a lot of fun. I'll certainly try to get out with you sometime before it gets too cold!