Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not My Friend

There is something about Facebook and sites like it that irritate me.  I'm not sure why, but I'm just not excited about them.  Even so, I signed up on Facebook.  I have never used it to post what I'm doing or put any photos up there.  I linked to a few of you on there and  I enjoy reading what people put there. For me, I prefer to work on the blog.  

I told Cari I found a few friends from high school on Facebook and she signed on as well.  We both kinda ignored it after those first few days.  Then, Cari started building up an army of friends.  She bragged about it quite heavily.  Cari was trying to show me how popular she was compared to me with my three friends.  Heck, a month would go by without me logging on to the site.  

I began to quietly build up my friend list.  I found a few more from high school and several more that I met through the blog.  Then I started getting requests from other people.  That's the magic of the site.  You start looking through the friends list of your friends and see who you know.   The requests I was getting were people I knew from high school.  Several were people I didn't like from high school.  Why would I acknowledge them now?  The only reason was to keep up with Cari.  This is a competition now, it's no time to be picky.  

Cari still had the lead by three about two weeks ago so I looked through her friend list.  In there I found a teenage girl from across the street and a dog.  A FRIGGIN' DOG!  Seriously.  I started screaming across the house, "YOU CAN NOT BE FRIENDS WITH A DOG!"  This isn't just any dog, this is my brother and his wife's dog.  In all fairness, it's their baby.  I might have had a friend request from the dog at some point but I completely ignored it.  I'm sorry.  As it turns out, the puppy uses Facebook more than I do... and most likely has more friends then me. 

Today the score on Facebook is 24 to 24.  A tie.  When you take out the dog and the teen, I have a two friend lead over Cari.  I declared victory and went outside to celebrate.  Cari was on my heels five minutes later after she looked over my friend list.  "You don't even like half of those people and don't talk to half of the ones you do like.", she declared.   I turned and argued that she is friends with a DOG.

In her mind, she voided half of my list and said that if she friend requested all the people whose names she recognized, she would blow me out of the water.  The fact is that as of today, I'm winning.

I'm starting to believe that this is common practice on Facebook.  If you have a Facebook account, take a moment and answer my poll.  Have you ever accepted or requested a person that you didn't really like?  

9 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

For awhile I accepted friends even if I hardly knew them. Then I got really annoyed with it and purged my friend list to only people I keep in contact with. Now even old people from my church are on it, but I have been ignoring their requests!

Poptart said...

Thanks for giving me the great idea to open a Facebook account for my dog!

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of fun on facebook. But I can also be a b****. I have not excepted a lot of people that have requested to be my friend. I have no desire to look at peoples pages that I dont really no or I dont like them. O..and dont make fun of having a dog as your friend. If you check out mine I am friends with a dog named Mandy..no joke :)

RoadRunner said...

I'm with you, I don't accept friend requests from people I don't remember or didn't talk to before facebook. My wife has a lot more friends than I have, but i'm not getting into a competition over it.

Meg and Family said...

I've had a myspace page for over a year now, and is quite similar to facebook. I have it to keep in touch with my friends from middle school. If you don't like a person don't add them!

Anonymous said...

Actually I have three times as many friends as you.

~Penelope (your favorite neice)

rakethetable said...

Facebook - What is that?

Anonymous said...

I only ever used facebook to play scrabulous.

Then they did away with that... so I haven't checked in a long time.

I have gotten friend requests from people I did not like in high school. I take great pleasure in always hitting the "ignore" button.

If I didn't talk to you/hang out with you/like you/know you in SOME capacity whether in high school/college/work/blogosphere/neighborhood...then don't waste my time!! :)

BTW... how do you think I knew when it was your birthday? Facebook tattled on you! :)

Melba said...

I got sucked into the whole high school thing not that long ago. All these people started sending me friend requests and they were people who were ever mean to me back in the day...why would I want to know/care what they're doing now?! But still I fell for it and lots of them are now on my friend list. Since then I've checked my account less and less, that whole thing kind of ruined it for me.