Saturday, October 04, 2008

Out of Focus

I went into a Subway for lunch a while back and saw that they were offering pizza.   Who's idea was that?   I was confused.  Maybe one of the managers of Subway went to Domino's one day for lunch and had a pizza.  During that lunch he thought, "Wow.  This pizza thing tastes great.  We should do that."  Nobody had the brains to remind him that they are a sandwich shop, NOT a pizza place.  

In all fairness, I have never had pizza from Subway.  It may be great, but I'm not willing to take that chance.  

In the mail today I got an advertisement from Domino's Pizza.  It didn't mention pizza a single time.  The entire ad was focused on telling me about their new SUB lineup!   Did the manager of Subway get fired and find a new job over at Domino's?  Has everyone lost their dang mind?

I'll tell you what.  When I want a pizza, I go to a pizza place.  When I want a sub sandwich, you guessed it, I go to a sandwich place.  I wish some of these places would stop trying to be everything to everyone.  They are watering down what they do right and start doing a lot of things wrong.  If the crazy guy that made these decisions happens to be reading this I want to say, "Get back to the basics.  Do the things you do well, and what made your company a success.  If you want pizza, walk across the street and get one at the pizza place, don't make your own." 

It won't be long before I go into a Chick-fil-A where they are serving tacos.  

5 comments:

jen said...

I felt the same way when Dairy Queen started serving hot dogs and hamburgers!

RoadRunner said...

Has nobody learned anything from the mistakes that Hardees made in the 90's?

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention Chick-fil-a and taco's.

My wife says the corp office makes a good fish taco.

Melba said...

I'm totally on the same page, but I did actually eat the Subway pizza one time. It was GOOD!

Aaron said...

mmm... chicken tacos!

I'm writing putting that in the suggestion box!