Thursday, February 25, 2010

Don't be Late to the Party!

I'm usually pretty slow when it comes to popular things online.  I will find out about something cool just about in time for it to stop being cool.  But I think I may be slightly ahead of the curve on this one.  Either I'm slightly ahead at something very cool and upcoming, or I've just stumbled onto something entirely lame and that's why I'm the only one around.

No, I'm not talking about Google Wave.  Although, I do have an account on Wave, so let me know if you post something there because I've given up on checking it.

What I'm talking about is Gowalla.  I actually just learned about this over the past few days.  I've also never heard of FourSquare which is very similiar, but not available in my area.   So Gowalla.   What is it?  Let's say you head over to Target to pick up some underwear.  You use your GPS enabled smart phone like the DROID or an iPhone and "check-in".   This lets all your friends and internet stalkers know that you are at Target.  You get awarded a stamp for checking in at Target.  For lunch you drive over to Five Guys for a burger.  While you are there, you pull up the app and "check in".  Another stamp!

The stamp collecting is kinda fun by itself, but then there's "pins".  As you play the game you may earn different pins.  Some of the things that will earn you pins are creating new locations on Gowalla or checking in at multiple locations in a day. There are many others that I have no clue about yet.   While you are out and about collecting stamps and pins you can also swap items.  This reminded me of a virtual Geocaching.  You start out with several items when you sign up.  You may have a tea kettle, a water bottle, a coffee, or one of the other hundred plus items.  As you visit a place, you will be notified if someone else has previously left an item there.  If they have, you can choose to swap items.

We went to the park on Tuesday and when I checked in there was a water bottle available.  I picked it up and left some sweets.  Each item has a history of who had it and where it has been.  I found it pretty cool to pick up a water bottle and find out where else it has been and how many people have had it.  You can also leave an item without picking one up if you want to leave something for the next visitor.  Sometimes you will also be gifted with an item when you check in.   This is like Geocaching for lazy people.

Right now, I don't have any friends using Gowalla, so I'm just going around tagging places and collecting items.  If you have friends using it, then I suppose it would be about the same as using Twitter to announce your location.  "Hey, I'm at Target buying underwear if anyone wants to join me".  Note the concern of constantly announcing your whereabouts.  My friend, Tom, recently wrote a blog on this topic. HERE.

I'm not using my name on Gowalla right now, so all of my friends with GPS enabled smart phones, let me know if you start using it and I'll let you track my every move.

I'm telling you right now, this will be the next big thing.  I wasn't the last one to the party, and I'm trying to help you from being last too.

Now get out there and pick up that kettle I left at Hobby Lobby this morning!

No comments: