Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Already Have One!

It's Spring time and you know that means!

It's time for another trip to the Pickens Flea Market!

We got a late start last week and didn't leave until 8:30am, but we figured some good deals could still be had at that late hour, so we headed out.  When we arrived we saw before us a plethora of cars in the dirt parking lot.  As I drove (for thirty minutes) looking for somewhere to park I started to realize that desperate people had become stupid.  Several people had blocked off the exit of an aisle by stopping their cars near the end of the aisle and getting out.  These are just grass fields and people are left to create their own aisles and rows.   This just proves that we can't monitor ourselves.  Why would you abandon your car in the middle of an aisle like that?

Eventually we got in and I started treasure hunting.  I had one thing in mind before I had even left the house.  A new hat.  I purposely didn't wear a hat when I left the house because I was certain to find it at the flea market.  Cari didn't know that I was looking for a hat, but she was about to find out.  I was looking for what I was told is called a "summer hat".  Something like the Tilley hat.

On my search for a  hat I started finding some other really great things.  Like the giant cement sculpture of an alligator or the throw rug stitched with a photo of Dale Earnhardt Sr.  At one point I stopped and contemplated purchasing a Confederate battle flag lapel pin from a guy that probably fought in the war.  Cari snuck up behind me as I looked at the case of pins.  "Whatcha goin' to buy?", she asked me.  She acted quickly when she noticed the collection of Confederate pins, "You already have one of those".

I didn't think I already had one.  I was almost sure of it, but when I looked back at her she assured me it was in the attic.  I walked away from that mans table empty handed but I think that was just Cari's nice way of saying, "You aren't buying that".

Down the row that started with with the man that sells the chickens and the woman selling out of date pharmaceuticals, I found my hat.  The vendor had about five colors of the hat I wanted.  He saw my glance at his merchandise and quickly told me the hats were three dollars or two for five.  I gave the man three dollars and picked up a tan hat. I put it on and modeled it for Cari, who initially was not impressed.

"I think it matches my smile quite nicely.", I said.
Cari smiled back at me and said that it looked good.  Then she admitted that initially she thought I was going to look hideous in it.  I guess my smile won her over.  I'll get some photos of me modeling the hat posted soon.

We walked back to the car hoping that some maniac hadn't blocked us in.  I told Cari that I didn't think they would block in a guy wearing a summer hat.

No comments: