Friday, September 17, 2010

Benton Mackaye Trail - section 2 (and 1)

Randy and I met up with Chip in the North Georgia mountains last week for our Fall backpacking adventure.  Aaron was scheduled to go but ended up sick just days before departing.

After shuttling cars to both ends of the trail we started out on the Appalachian Trail.  This was my first time on the AT and it was short lived.  Within a mile we split off onto the Benton Mackaye Trail (BMT).  At every intersection and landmark we pulled the map out of our pocket but couldn't make sense of it.  "Did you print the right maps?", Chip asked.

"Did you park in the right spot?", I replied.  Yes, I drove to the starting location, but by following the navigation of Chip.

We knew we were on the right trail, we knew we were headed the right direction, we just weren't sure where we were on the trail.

After a few hours of hiking we arrived at our lunch spot.  This is also the spot we had intended starting our weekend at.

The trail was tough.  There were lots of ups and downs as we crossed the mountains.  At the top of one peak we entered into a clearing known as "the bald".  This clearing was made by the Army Rangers for training and is used sometimes to land helicopters.  It was an interesting location especially in contrast to the hours of dense forest we had just hiked through.

After crossing "the bald" storms started to move in on us pretty quick.  We stopped to dig out our ponchos just in time for the rain to start.  Thankfully it didn't rain long, and other than some damp shoes, we survived it well.

Later in the day we were getting tired.  We were getting sore.  Our goal was to camp on the river and we guessed we were still miles from it.  From the descriptive maps we were using, I kept guessing we would arrive at another camp at any moment.  The third time I predicted this, I was right.  I prompted a vote at 5pm to stay at the camp and finish the next morning.  That's a vote I wold lose to the other two.  We pushed on.
Seven hours of hiking and eleven miles later, we arrived at the river around 6:30pm.  We crossed an amazing suspension bridge and made our camp.

 I had spent the day being diligent and trying to spot a Black Bear.  I did spot one, but only as he was running from us.  His hind legs were thick.  I would have loved to got a closer look at him.  We never did see any other large animals on our weekend but we wondered how many saw us.


Randy and I played in the river for a while before dinner.  


That night it poured rain.  I woke a few times and listened to it pounding the tent.  In the darkness I reached my hands out and felt the sides of the tent.  I didn't feel any water.  Relieved, I fell back asleep.


The next morning we hit the trail again quickly.  Only three miles to reach the car.  We were tired and ready for the car.  Now I was glad we pushed hard to make the river.  I imagine five miles on the second day would have really knocked me out.

This was one of the first major trips Randy took.  He did a great job.  There were a few times through the weekend that he got himself in the "are we there yet" mode, but he didn't complain any more than the adults and he pushed on.  At the end I asked if he'd like to go again and he said he would.  He must have already forgotten the pain he was in on Saturday night at camp.

2 comments:

San said...

wow that looks like it was great. i love that pic of the suspension bridge..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the weekend.

Long miles make for good sleep.


Rake