Thursday, September 09, 2010

Planting the Family Tree without Internet Access

Before I get started, let me tell you that this is not the post I had planned for this morning.  You should be seeing part 3 of my hiking video.  The problem is that. . . well, you'll see. . .

After a few years of talking about it, we actually purchased and planted our tree Wednesday night.  We wanted a tree in the yard that everyone in the house had their hands on planting.  Cari and I chose a white Dogwood tree  and found a great spot in the yard that needs a tree.






The kids started digging and they quickly admitted the clay to be too tough. It didn't take long before I was taking the shovel back from them.


 I started pounding it into the ground and came across a root.  I asked Cari, who was watching the action, "What do you think this is from?"  I pointed to the root in the shallow hole.  She shrugged and I kept chopping it with my shovel.  After a few chops I bent down to look at it and realized it had a metal core.

Oh crap!  I just cut the cable to the cable internet!

Randy ran inside to verify what I had done.  A minute later he was coming out the door screaming, "Dad killed the internet!"

I moved over a few feet and dug a new hole, one without wires in it.  Then we planted our tree, making sure that we all got our hands dirty.

Now you know why you aren't watching video number three.  I have no internet.  It's like living in the 80's in here.  Well, that was until I fired up the laptop, connected to the neighbors (unprotected) wifi and typed up this post.

1 comment:

San said...

i like that black and white photo of the tree planting..really nice..all hands and dirt ..its great