Thursday, October 21, 2010

Maized

We've never been to a corn maze before and lucky for us there is one not far from home.  We loaded our kids in the car, noticed we had more room, then added more kids before heading out.  

I admit, I was a bit nervous about going.  What if I became lost?  What if the maze was harder than any of those maze books I did as a kid?  My kids re-assured me that I had practiced mazes all my life for this event. They also suggested that if I became lost I wouldn't worry about starving.  

When we arrived at Denver Downs I was relieved that they gave us maps. 
12 acres of corn to explore.  They placed signs throughout the maze and challenge you to find each point.  Then it's good luck getting out!
 We let the girls lead the way . . .
It seems that making mazes in your maize (I couldn't help myself) is more profitable then eating the corn or making bio-fuel.

 Gladly, we had no attitudes from the older kids on this family outing.  But the littlest one wasn't excited about waiting for a hayride.
 Once we got loaded up on the truck for the hayride I couldn't help staring at the guy sitting next to me.  He just stood out in the crowd.
 The Tiger was an instant friend of the baby.  She even plucked some hay out of his fur and he hugged her in return.
 Before we left, we had to check out the open barn next to the field of corn.  Inside they had mountains of hay and some ropes to swing from.
 Notice that you haven't seen the boy yet?  Yeah, well, he and his friends didn't spend much time in the corn maze.  They got out quick and headed to the barn. I found him flying into a pile of hay.

Denver Downs does a great job of putting on this fall activity.  I was surprised to see that it was its own little amusement park.  It was easy to make the day of it and there were plenty of things to do besides walking in a corn field.

Maybe next year they won't make the maze as difficult. . .

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

I would totally get lost in there. The hay jump looks like fun though!

Farm Girl in MD said...

Chuck and I are going to a corn maze on Saturday. After seeing this one, I think ours may pale in comparison!