Thursday, March 10, 2011

Just a Number

I decided to hold my first conference call with my team yesterday.  I even invited my boss to the call.  About ten minutes prior to the start I was reviewing my notes.  I was ready.

I dialed the number and entered my pass code.  Pass code invalid.

I did it again.

Pass code invalid.

I had sent the same pass code to everyone that was to be a part of the call.  Everyone except my boss, who had the right number.  He was sitting on the call alone.  I was now late.

I franticly searched my notes for the place I had originally wrote the number.  It was the same as what I was now dialing.  I changed one number and it worked.  Some of my coworkers jumped on a phone and started calling around to get the right number out to everyone.

Meanwhile, my boss was on the call with me and told me he had to get going.  He said he had other appointments.   We were about ten minutes late starting and still didn't have everyone.  I was just staring at the silent phone when my boss said some introductory words.  He didn't sound upset, but I was freaking out.

I looked at the people in the room with me.  This is not how this was supposed to go.

The good news is that we will use the same number for the next call I host and now we all have the right number.   I'm glad you can only have one first conference call.   

No comments: