Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bueller. Bueller.

Yesterday I hosted a conference call.  There were around fifteen people on the call and three in the room with me.   I covered the information that needed to be communicated to the team, we had a bit of friendly banter, and then I ended the call forty five minutes after it started.

One of the ladies in the room with me stretched and made a comment about how she needed to go walk around the building and get herself going again.  I agreed. I just spent an hour sitting and talking on the phone.

As the four of us walked into the hallway, I asked another woman in the group what she thought of the conference call.  She stopped and looked at me.  Then she said something about her daddy being a preacher and she knows that kind of voice.

I wasn't really sure what she meant.  Some preachers are super exciting and they jump around screaming "AMEN!"  I had a feeling that wasn't the kind of preacher she was comparing to me.  She said my voice is even. That the tone is steady.

Oh! You mean monotone.

We talked for another minute.  I had asked her for honest feedback and she was actually giving that to me.  It's exactly what I wanted and exactly what most people won't do.   In the end of our short conversation she told me that the information helps her do her job better but I had a steady tone like her preacher.

The next conference call I give is going to have an intermission with required jumping jacks. I'm also going to throw in a few AMEN to keep everyone on their toes.

No comments: