Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Hike

A few weeks ago we had some amazing January weather and a free afternoon so we loaded up the car and found a trail.  

We ended up at the Asbury Hills Methodist camp in South Carolina.  Well, we actually ended up at the gate to the camp.  To open the gate you just needed to key in the magic password on the keypad.  It was that or bust through the gate with your car.  They prefer that you call ahead so that they can provide you with the code.  I didn't do that.  Instead I risked the hike, or their gate, and called once I got there.  The man on the other end of the line (does that saying even make sense any more?) gladly gave me the code and we were in!

Inside we found a triple trail with frog eggs, a creek, and a cable bridge.   Here's some photos of our adventure.

Everyone is happy at the beginning.  
 Triple trails!  Pick your favorite color.
 Still plenty of energy.  RUN!
 A mountain of frog eggs in a puddle.  I've never seen them before and they were awesome.  Some of our group even braved touching them.  I skipped out on that part.

 An old info box with piles of rock in and on it.  Cari joined in the fun and this gave me an idea.

A creek!  Beautiful.
 A cable bridge.  One for your feet and one for your hands.

Remember that info box?  I decided to build a cairn in the creek.  Want a history on stone cairns?  Something about them fascinates me.  This one is for decoration, but I have encountered them on trails before where they helped mark the way forward.   Such a simple concept that has been used for centuries. 
 Triple trail blazes leading the way out.  Moving a little slower.
Remember that girl running down the trail at the beginning?  Out of gas.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I've never been up to Asbury Hills, but should do that sometime.

You can find the stone cairns all over Washington State. There is one long stretch on the east side of the Cascade Range that has them lining the road for miles.