Saturday, February 04, 2012

Prayer Request

Every Sunday during church, the pastor asks if there are any prayer requests.  Last Sunday, I sat in the third pew from the front as I listened to members of the congregation ask for prayers.  Pray for safe travel.  Pray for a neighbor that lost a job.  Pray for successful medical treatment.  Then from the front row, a loud voice emerged,  "EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! It's me, Brenna!"

My eyes had been focused on the pastor and on the cross behind him.  Now I turn my attention to a small girl sitting in the front pew.  My small girl.  Panic flowed into my body.  Before the pastor could reply, Brenna continued, "Nisha (our dog) pooped on the rug yesterday."   This announcement prompted the church to break into laughter.  Brenna twisted around to look back and smile at me.  She waved.  I was in the middle of the pew, with people on both sides of me and feeling a little helpless.  I didn't see a way to get up and retrieve her without causing a bigger scene.  I put a finger to my lips in a plea for her to be quiet and then I sat back to pray that she would behave.  The pastor laughed and made a comment about the unpredictable things children will say.  Everyone bowed their heads as the pastor said a prayer.  I peeked up at Brenna and she was also sitting with her head bowed.

Randy was sitting next to me and whispered, "How did she get in here?"  That was a great question.  She should be in the nursery.  As the pastor's prayer ended, my phone vibrated in my pocket.  A text from Cari.  She was in the fellowship hall preparing a meal for everyone.  Her text said,  "Bren snuck away from me.  You got her?"

I looked up at my four year old, still sitting in the front pew.  Alone.  Do I got her?  Um. . . no.  She was quiet for the prayer, but she wouldn't sit still for long.  I texted Cari, "She is in front row. On her own. Bad idea. Talking!!!"  My text was panic.  At some point the girl will waltz right up to the front and start talking.  After the laughter she gained from her first outburst she will feel emboldened to continue.  

At this time a guest speaker got up and stood near the front pew where Brenna was sitting.  Brenna looked up at the speaker, got up, and bolted to the back door.  She was gone.  It was over.  I took a breath.

After church it was hard to find anyone that had seen Brenna enter the sanctuary.  It's like she was invisible until she spoke.  Many didn't notice her leave either, but everyone had heard her prayer request.

I know what my prayer request will be tomorrow, and it's not about the dog.

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

ha! That is too funny!

Farm Girl in MD said...

That is hysterical!!