Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Champions of Blokus

Our family game night introduced a trophy sometime last December.  Since then, the winner of the game will get ownership of the trophy to display in their room.  Along with the trophy we started a small log to record the date, game, and the winner.

So far only two names have appeared on that record and mine is one of them.   Last week we decided to let Cari choose a game since she hasn't won the trophy yet.   A few minutes later she brought Blokus to the table.  A game that only she has won in our house.

Halfway into the game I started feeling good about my position but I couldn't be sure that I would win.  I continued to eye the pieces everyone had left and monitored the board carefully.

The boy was the first to become blocked in and unable to continue.  A while later the girl was trapped with a handful of pieces unplayed.  Cari and I were quietly counting each other's pieces across the table from each other.

On the last turn I had only one piece left in my hand.  Cari had two and the score proved that I had won!  I couldn't believe it and by the look on her face, she couldn't believe it either.

I retained the trophy and used my phone to cue up Queen's "We Are the Champions."

I am a little afraid that at some point my reign of holding the trophy will come to an end and my gloating will come back to haunt me.   Until then, I will continue to hum that I am the champion. . . of the world.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Not for long, my love. Not for long!