Monday, June 24, 2013

You Have TOO Much Stuff

I started to notice the amount of storage businesses I drive past every day and it got me thinking.

We have too much stuff.

Look at all the junk that we buy.  We have so much stuff that we can't even it hold it in one house.  I suppose if you live in a museum and you feel the need to change your displayed collection every few months you may need a storage container.

I know that there are legitimate reasons why people use storage containers.  Maybe someone is getting ready to move and needs a place to hold their belongings temporarily.  Or maybe someone had a flood in their home and they need to clear it out for a short time.   But that doesn't account for the huge amounts of storage that is available out there.  I also suspect that for many people, once they start filling a storage container, they keep filling it until it is full and then leave their stuff there.

It's a tough thing to fight clutter.  It's fun to shop.  It's fun to bring home new things.  I appreciate those feelings.  But when you fill up your house maybe it's time to give away or sell some of your belongings instead of filling up someone else's garage with it.

No comments: