Monday, June 10, 2013

You Were Not Invited

There was two large trees next to each other in the parking lot as I searched for a shady lunch spot.  Three spaces were covered in some shade and I took the one on the left.   With the windows down and my shoes off I enjoyed a quiet lunch.

It wasn't long before another car pulled up and took the shady spot on the right.  I looked over to see who my new neighbor was and saw a man eating his lunch while reading a book.   He didn't seem to notice me and I continued to finish my lunch.

That's when I heard it.  Bzzzt.  Bzzzt.  Bzzzt.   The familiar sound of a wasp's wings hitting the windshield.  Without looking I knew I had a visitor in the car with me!  Sure enough the passenger side of my car was now occupied by a rather large wasp that was buzzing around the dashboard and coming my way.  I jumped out of the car to think of a solution.   As I stood outside of my car barefooted and looking into the windshield I could feel my neighbor look my way with a curious expression.

The uninvited guest continued buzzing around inside the front of the car. The top of the passenger window caught my eye because it wasn't completely down.  I wanted to give this wasp every possible chance to get out of the car so I hopped back in, turned the power on, rolled the window down, and hopped back out to watch.  I was leaning over the hood of the car with my face pressed up to the windshield watching the action unfold inside.

The wasp floated to the rear of the car and I let out an audible "Nooooooooo."  I again felt the gaze of my book reading neighbor.  I shut the driver side door while still standing outside.  Looking in, I didn't see the wasp.  Maybe it was still hiding in the back seat.  I leaned in the driver window cautiously.  There is no way I could drive back to work with a wasp behind my head and lunch was over in six minutes.

As I stood on the hot asphalt I was thinking of my next move when the wasp appeared again.  He was floating in front of the driver seat this time and slowly coming toward me.  FINALLY!

You won't believe what happened next, but I swear it to be true.   A strong breeze blew across the parking lot as the wasp approached the window and pushed the thing back to the interior of the car!

I stomped my foot on the ground and looked up to meet eyes with my neighbor.  I smiled and he looked back to his book.  I wanted to explain what must look like odd behavior but he didn't seem interested in an explanation.

The wasp continued on the path across the inside of the car and exited out of the passenger window.  I immediately pulled open the driver door and hopped in.  I turned the key to give power to the windows and hit both window controls up.  I watched in slow motion as the windows moved upward.  With every second that passed I felt like my uninvited guest would reappear.  My heart beat faster and the windows weren't moving fast enough.

Windows fully up I leaned back in my seat and took a deep breath.  I felt drained from the drama that just took place.  The temperature in the car was rising quickly.  It felt like 100 plus degrees in the car now.  My neighbor was looking my way again and I mouthed the word wasp.  Partially as an explanation for my crazy behavior and partially as a warning before I started the engine and drove back to work.

Next time I'm parking in the sun.

No comments: