Sunday, September 01, 2013

Thankful for My Loss

I am so thankful for my loss of Direct TV.   Let me tell you a few things that have happened since I stopped giving them money.

We signed up for Netflix streaming for a fraction of what Direct TV wanted.  The kids have never complained about lack of content and Cari and started to watch new things like House of Cards (excellent!).
We purchased a Google Chromecast for $35 that also came with three months of Netflix for free.  That pretty much made the Chromecast cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.    The Chromecast is a small device that plugs into the HDMI port on the TV and then allows you to push YouTube, Netflix, or anything on an internet browser window to your TV.   It works seamlessly and I love it.

Using the Chromecast last week for the Nascar race was incredible.  Someone was streaming the race to the internet, I pulled it up on my browser - full screen - and then shot it over to the TV with Chromecast.  Even better was the fact that the person feeding it muted the audio during every commercial.   It was actually a better experience than having it on regular TV.

Another result is having more money available for important things.  Things like pizza night.

Although Direct TV sends us mail begging for us to come back several times a week we aren't going back.  Life is too awesome without Direct TV, I am so thankful for losing them!

No comments: