Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Coup

I found another game that has you lying and stealing from your friends to win.


I wonder if we are teaching our kids valuable lessons here.   No matter.  This is a fun game.
Up to six people can play and it only takes 10 minutes to play a game so it's great when you don't have several hours to play a long game.  Often we will play 3 or 4 rounds at a time.

The game is a deck of fifteen cards.  There are three each of five different character cards.  Each character gives you an ability.   Each player is given two of these cards to place in front of them.  The player looks at the cards they were dealt, but on their turn can take the action of any of the five characters.  It doesn't matter if you have the correct card or not.   What matters is if the other players suspect you and call you out on a possible lie.

Some characters allow you to block the powers of other characters.  This turns into a situation of a possible double bluff.   For example:  On Cari's turn she says she is going to assassinate one of my cards.  First I need to decide if I believe she actually holds the assassin card.  Then I can decide if I want to declare to have the card that blocks her assassination.  If I do, she needs to decide if she believes me.

If you challenge someone on their role and you are wrong then you lose a card.  If you you were right about them lying then that player loses a card.   You also can collect coins on your turn and with the right amount of money you can eliminate someone's card.   The last player with a face down card wins.

This is a great game for short bursts of time and has you stare down your friends as you try to determine when they are trying to fool you.

No comments: