Thursday, February 27, 2014

Life Without Cable

When we dumped DirectTV last year and signed up for Netflix I wasn't really sure how this would turn out. 
 That was more than six months ago and I'm here to tell you that it is working out better than expected. 
We picked up a digital antenna to pick up local channels but we can only get two stations reliably at our house.  We also picked up a Chromecast for $20.  Chromecast allows us to play YouTube or Netflix from an iPad directly onto the TV.  You can also push any web browser screen on your computer over to the TV which is good for other video sources.

I don't tend to watch a lot of television so I didn't anticipate problems.   The ones that watch the most television are the ones I was concerned about. It turns out the kids actually like Netflix better than cable and in sixth months nobody in the house has ever asked for cable.

As we move forward in this new world Netflix has started to produce their own content and it is excellent.  House of Cards is a terrific series and cable companies should be nervous.  There is no reason to pay them $100 a month for what they give you.

2 comments:

Bronnie said...

The only thing I miss about cable is sports. Even with the basic package, I used to be able to watch North Carolina basketball once every week or two. I haven't seen a single game this season, and it's killing me.

Jeremy said...

Our family has been hulu/netflix exclusive for years. It was about 2011 when we bought a TV and a $400 PC for the living room.

If you walked into our home you'd never know we didn't have cable unless you saw us picking shows with the wireless keyboard.

Chromecast is intriguing to me. It may be the ticket to getting that pc out of there.