Thursday, June 19, 2014

Phil Hendrie

Years and years ago I heard a radio show unlike any other.  It was the Phil Hendie show. At that time Phil was mostly on AM stations having crazy conversations with crazy characters and then bringing along unsuspecting callers.

After I moved, I lost access to this show and never heard another like it.  Phil and the other characters on his show are all played by Phil.  On the fly, Phil is interrupting himself, changing voices, and using sound effects.  You have to hear it to really appreciate it.

Recently, I was searching for a new Podcast and searched for Phil Hendie to see if he had anything out there.  I was surprised when I found one and I started listening again.

Since then, Phil has left the radio waves and has moved his program to the internet.  This gives him full control over the program and full rights to anything he does.  No middleman.  Mon-Fri you can tune in live using the Tune-In radio app or you can download his daily Podcast for free and listen to the show whenever you like.

I'll warn you, this isn't a show to listen to with children listening or while at work if others can hear it.  Being on the internet means there is no censorship.  The show probably isn't for everyone, but it is unlike any other talk radio you've heard.

Check out the website where you can listen to the last five days of podcasts for free and decide if this is something for you.

It's exciting to see artists moving into other mediums and away from traditional ones.  Instead of being stuck on late night on a handful of stations, now an artist can produce a show anytime they like and broadcast it to the world.  This takes some of the power away from the traditional power holders and reminds me of self publishing books electronically and allowing smaller artists a larger audience.

1 comment:

Mark said...

When my mom would take me as a kid to visit my grandparents in florida back in the day, I had a lot of time to do nothing.

So I turned on my radio and tuned around. I came upon the Phil Hendrie show from a station in Miami. It's amazing how many people called in to debate somebody and not realize it was actually Phil performing a voice.