Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rumor Mill : Pt 1

About a month ago rumors started circulating at work that the company is going to restructure the management team.  Initially, these rumors didn't effect me directly.  They were more threatening to my coworkers, so I didn't think much about it.

Two weeks go by, and the rumors continue.  We hear new rumors almost daily at this point and my boss tells me that one of the latest rumors threatens my job.  Now I was really interested.  All of us in our team of seven were unsure of our future in this company.

A few things happen when rumors of your job coming to an end is in your ear every day.  First, it's REALLY hard to stay focused.  Do you really want to come in and do your best work for a company that either doesn't need you or doesn't care about you?  One of the managers I work with said something that stuck with me over the past few weeks of rumors.  He said that you have to come in and work just as hard as you always had.  If you get fired on the last day, then you know that you did your best 'til the end.  Had you given up and then they fired you on the last day, they (the company) will not feel bad.  They may believe they did the right thing based on your poor performance in the last weeks.   He is right.  I fought - mostly - to stay on task.  Although, I admit, I have put one large project on hold until the rumors come to an end.

Another thing that happens when your team feels the end is near is an instant bonding. Guys that I had previously had a relationship with that never made it passed the "hello" stage, I was now having sit down meetings with daily.  We discussed our families, the rumors, and "what would you do" thoughts.   The team has been at its strongest over the past two weeks.  If you are looking for a great team building activity, try starting some career ending rumors.

One week ago we learned of another rumor.  Severance packages.  We found a document in the computer that outlined how the program would work.  This is a new program for our company and it strengthened our belief in the other rumors.  Part of me started to want one of those packages.  How exciting would it be to start something different?  How awesome would it be to leave the problems at work to someone else?  The other part of me had other questions.  What happens when the money runs out?  How easy would it be to find a replacement job?  Any job?  With these questions in my mind, I started to believe I would be disappointed with either outcome.  If I kept my job while a coworker was let go I might be jealous that he is getting a fresh start.  If I am the one to go, I'd be disappointed to end a long employment.

I got a phone call at home.  It was my day off and the human resources manager was on the phone.  She said we had a mandatory meeting scheduled at 1pm the next day.  That day was also a scheduled day off, but I knew this would be the meeting to answer my questions.  As I hung up my stomach instantly went into knots.

Four weeks of rumors are now coming to an end.

This is really happening.

5 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

How soon do we hear part 2? I hope all is okay!

Ms Melly said...

I hope all is well Ed. Keep us posted.

d e v a n said...

Yikes! Good luck!

Melba said...

Sounds very unsettling, I've been in that boat before and it is a rocky one! Keep us posted...

Melba

Gil said...

Hey Ed, i am back in the Crystal house so y'all can come back and live with me in Florida...lol...seriously though, i hope it works out to be what you wish it to be.