Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making Volleyball Better

So I've been watching some 10 and under girls volleyball lately and I've been thinking.

It's not the most intense sport I've ever watched.  Yes, we do get some good volleys once in a while and there are a few good serves.  But this isn't like watching basketball as guys bash into each other for a rebound.  This isn't like football where you encourage your child to rip the head off of another kid.   This is volleyball where there are two squads of girls, one on either side of the net.  Sometimes they smile at each other as they pass the ball back and forth.

I believe I've come up with the solution to volleyball.  What we need is contact among players.  I'm going to move two girls from each team to the other side of the court with their opponents.  They can shove and scream and even swat at the ball to get their team a point.  But they can't leave a 5x8 square painted in the middle of each side of the court.

I'm not saying it's the perfect solution.  But let's try it for a while and tweak on it.  It's time for

Volleyball X-treme!   aka:  Volleyball X

1 comment:

amanda said...

Lol...love it!!