Friday, January 11, 2013

Basketball Stats

With basketball starting up in my house again I became interested in keeping some stats on the game.  I pulled up the Google Play store on my tablet and did a search.  There are a ton of apps to choose from if you want to keep track of a game of basketball.

Some of these are free and some cost a few dollars.  I downloaded a few free ones and a few samples to see what type of stats they keep and how they operate.  I was a little nervous how much of my attention it would take to manage an app like this.  I want my attention during the game on the court and not at my tablet.

Last week Randy had a scrimmage game and up to the last minute I was trying to decide on an app.  I finally decided to go with Basketball Stat Tracker.

It is a little on the high end of pricing compared to a lot of others, but it seemed to have everything I wanted and more.  In addition to simple statistics such as how many rebounds a player makes and what percent of shots he made this app also maps the shots so you can see where your team (and the opponents) took and made their shots from.

The result of our scrimmage game looked like this for our team:
The number is the jersey number of the player.   Orange circles are made shots and the plain number is a missed shot.

The app was easy to use and didn't require me to stare at the screen the whole game.  Once I got the hang of it I was able to quickly record action from the game.

I did find a few things that I thought could be improved in the app and tracked them down on Google+.  I gave them some feedback about the app and they responded the next day.

A few days later I used the app during a game and thought of some more things I thought could be better.  This time I emailed the creator of the app from their website.  The next morning I received a reply.  In most cases they requests I made were already being worked on or they added them.  This developer listens to feedback!

A few days after the emails an update came out for the app and the developer sent me a message asking for my thoughts on the new update.  I have no doubt that I wisely spent my money picking up this app.  Now I just wish basketball season lasted a little longer.

No comments: