Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Android App Picks

I've had my Droid phone for over a year now.  One of the things I really enjoy is finding new apps that add to the ways I enjoy and use my phone.  Sometimes it's hard to discover these apps just by browsing the Market.  It helps if others tell you about the apps they have found and are using.  So if you have an Android phone, here's a few of my favorite apps at the moment.  I hope this helps you discover something new to enjoy on your device.

Mind Mapping  - I recently blogged about this app and I still find myself using it to organize my thoughts.  Sometimes I don't feel I have time to sort out the things floating in my head, but this app still gives me a place to drop the ideas and then sort them later.  FREE or pay version.

Pulse - I've only been using this free app for a few weeks, but wow.  It takes a lot of news sources on a wide variety of topics and puts them in one screen.  Each horizontal line shows you the headlines from that source (ex. CNN, FoxNews, Engadget, etc..).  You can scroll through those and click to read the ones that interest you.  Your sources scroll vertically and can be put into any order that you choose. You choose the sources that you enjoy reading including, if you wish, your Facebook status feed.  If you like news, this is awesome.  FREE. Try it.

Listen - podcasts.  I use in the car all the time.  I plug in a FM transmitter and broadcast these over my car radio.  A few of my favorite podcasts:  This American Life, The Moth, and Engadget.  Again, this app is FREE.

TuneIn Radio - I used to like Pandora, but their privacy settings are pretty sketchy lately, so I have stopped using it for now.  This app lets you listen to most any radio station on your phone.  Great for when you can't get to your radio or you are traveling away from home but prefer you home radio stations.  FREE.

Angry Birds - I don't play a lot of games on my phone, but this is certainly one that I keep going back to.  If you don't know about Angry Birds yet, you are missing out.  Oh yeah, this one . . . FREE

Word Feud.  Do you like Scrabble?  I hadn't played in years.  But thanks to Word Feud I play almost every day.  Play with friends or with random opponents.  The beauty of this is that you play at your own pace.  As each player takes their turn, the game notifies the other person.  Take your turn whenever you get a few minutes.  I currently have six games going.  If you try this, let me know your login name so I can challenge you.  This app costs FREE.


Hope this helps you find something great on your phone.  If you have a few favorites Android apps leave me a comment.  I'm always interested to find something new.

2 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

I will check out the ones you mentioned.

I am a sucker for the game "jewels". I downloaded Angry Birds but have yet to play!

I use Launcher Pro as my home setting and LOVE it.

I also use the Jorte calendar which is fantastic.

Melba said...

I love this post and may make a copycat one soon. I agree that one of the best ways to find new apps is to talk to others with smart phones and find out what they're using.

I have an iPhone, not a Droid but after reading your list, I installed mind mapping and pulse, we'll see how much they get used.

I also have and repeatedly play Angry Birds. I'm currently stuck on level 9 and it's driving me crazy! Also have "Words with Friends," which I assume is similar to the word app you listed. Too bad we can't get the same game on different phones, then we could play a round.

Melba