Sunday, July 24, 2011

Stereotypes

Stereotypes come in handy sometimes.  Like if you are driving down the highway you will try to avoid the women drivers.  Especially if they are blonde. Right? Because you know how they are.

A few times a week I drive past this bakery.
The driveway leads to a house up on a hill and it has always had me curious about what was up there.  I had it in my head what it would look like inside.  Maybe just a kitchen with an extra counter to serve the random passerby.

This past Friday, I decided to stop in and see what was going on.  I was hoping to buy something but I wasn't sure what kind of variety of goods would be there.  I turned at the familiar light house marker and drove up the driveway, past a cow, and around the back side of the house.  There were parking spaces for half a dozen cars and a sign on the door letting me know that they were open.

The room was kinda small.  There was a rack of baked goods in the center and shelves lined two walls with more treats.  The third wall had a cooler with pies.  Across from me was a glass counter with cakes and cookies.  Behind the counter stood two Mennonite women.

A stereotype popped in my head and I realized that all of this food will be delicious.  I've eaten at a Mennonite restaurant before and I still brag about how incredible it was.  I looked around for a few minutes and talked to another customer that was trying to decide what to get.  She told me I couldn't go wrong with anything in the shop.

I finally decided to get one of each of the three flavors of turnovers.  Blackberry, cherry, and apple.  Everyone was really friendly at the Swartzentruber's Bakery and everything in there smelled tempting.

But the really important thing to know is if the bakery lives up to the stereotype I put on it.  After dinner, I presented my surprise dessert and it was a great success!  Cari is already planning on giving me a shopping list for the next time I drive past there.

What have you learned today?  If you ever see a Mennonite / Amish restaurant or bakery you need to stop in.  Stereotypes are true sometimes or they wouldn't be stereotypes.  Did you know all bloggers own cats?

I have two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I javelin a cat but not sure you can still call me a blogger.
rakethetable

atlibertytosay said...

I have a dog.

www.atlibertytosay.com