Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Neighbor's New Dog



The neighborhood kids found a small dog at an empty house on the block recently.  They petted him and gave him tons of attention for about fifteen minutes.  That's all the attention that any kid has the ability to give.  Then the kids went back to play at my neighbors house.  The dog followed.   When I noticed the dog, I went to investigate how vicious it may be.  I found the dog to be terrified of me (rightly so). It had no collar to identify it, and the kids told me they had named it Snickers.  I know the dogs that live on my block and this wasn't one of them.  The kids were already adopting it, and I'm glad to report that the process was taking place away from my house.

At dinner that night, I asked my daughter how Snickers was doing.  She looked at me with a confused look.  "You mean, S'mores?", she asked.

The next day the kids continued to play with S'mores and I noticed it had taken up sleeping on the neighbor's porch.  I stood in my driveway that afternoon, pointed at the dog, and laughed.  This neighbor doesn't own a dog and he doesn't want a dog.  His kids, on the other hand, feed S'mores from their porch.

At dinner that night, I told my daughter that I noticed S'mores sleeping on the neighbors porch.  She looked at me with a confused look.  "You mean, Georgia?", she asked.

The third day of life with Snickers S'mores Georgia continued much the same.  The neighbor kids and my kids continued to love the dog and even took him for a walk up and down the street.  No leash required, the dog loved sticking close to the kids.  When the kids went inside, I went out to cut grass.  That little yappy dog stood at the edge of my neighbor's driveway and barked at me the whole time I was out there.  I texted my neighbor and asked him to please put his dog inside so it would stop barking.  My neighbor didn't appreciate my humor.

At dinner that night, I asked my daughter if she saw Georgia protecting the neighbor's house while I cut grass.  She looked at me with a confused look.  "You mean Lightening bolt?", she asked.

On day four my neighbor had a friend of his come over and pick up the dog.  The friend took Lightning Bolt out to a large property where he lives, and will give the dog a good home (honest).

At dinner that night, I asked my daughter how she felt about Lightning Bolt moving away.  She looked at me with a confused look.  "You mean Dorito's?", she asked.

No comments: