Thursday, May 31, 2012

Do You Need a Pillow?

There are somewhere between 4 and 47 pillows on my bed.  Whatever the number is, it's too many.  Seems to me that anymore than two pillows is too many.  One for her.  One for me.
   
When I lay down to sleep I don't need to have my head elevated to the point of sitting up.  I want to be lying prostrate.

Each night I plop into bed and my head hits the pillows.  My next move is to reach up and throw a pillow to the floor.  Depending on the amount of pillows stacked on my side of the bed on a given night, I'll continue reaching up and tossing until I'm either too tired to repeat it or until I find the bottom of the stack.

I guess I never thought about Cari handled her mountain of pillows each night.  After all, she's the one that re-builds the massive stack each morning.  But last night, after I had finished throwing a few pillows to the floor I heard another one fall.  I opened my eyes in the darkness and looked around in the blackness.  "Did you throw a pillow?", I whispered to her.
     "yeah.", she answered.
I didn't say anything else.  I just sat there wondering why we have so many pillows.

No comments: