Sunday, May 27, 2012

Social Media Success

Memorial weekend is a special weekend on the calendar for race fans.  Some of the most spectacular racing happens this weekend.  We will have the Indy 500, the Nascar Coca Cola 600, and the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Monaco.

A few weeks ago at work there were a handful of race tickets being given away.  These tickets were for events at the Charlotte Motor Speedway but didn't include any for the Coke 600 on Memorial weekend.  The tickets got me thinking that maybe someone in the company would have some available tickets for that event.  I emailed my boss and he responded that he no longer gets the tickets like in past years.  He apologized that he couldn't help me.

My next thought was to message someone I had never met, but knew through social media.  He works for the same company as I do but he works in the corporate offices.  I hated to feel like a beggar, but I didn't think there was any harm in asking.  He messaged me back that he didn't have any tickets.

Fast forward to this past Friday around lunch time.  A text came through on my phone, "Still need tix for Sunday's race.  Call me fast. . ."  It was the guy that works at corporate.  I excused myself from a conversation and called Cari.  "Do you still want to see that race?".  She quickly answered yes and I told her I would call her back.

I called my contact and we spoke for the first time.  Up to now our relationship was commenting on social media postings.  He offered me the tickets that he had just won and couldn't use and we made arrangements to get the tickets to me.

On the company messaging system I thanked him for the tickets.  He replied, "My pleasure. . . nothing like good social media and company contacts, right?"  He was right.  What a social media success this was.

After three extra hours of driving the state on Friday afternoon, I arrived home Friday night around nine with tickets in hand.

Memorial weekend racing will be a bit more special this year as we watch the cars run under the lights. . . in person.  Thanks to a generous contact, a terrific sister, and social media.

1 comment:

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Have fun! What a cool story. :)