Thursday, May 03, 2012

Gangster Paradise?

Who does this?  I've never seen it before.

For several hours one evening my neighbor worked on this project and I could hear the earth moving equipment working beyond the trees that separate us.  The next day I drove around to see what all the noise was about.

At that point I couldn't wait to get home and tell Cari.
"The neighbor is a gangster.", I told her.  I was excited to be sharing my neighborhood gossip with her and I waited for her to beg for more.
     She looked at me, but not with the excitement about my news, and said plainly, "Why do you think the neighbor is a gangster."
     "Well, you heard all the noise yesterday, right?"  Cari nodded and waited for me to continue. I spoke with hushed excitement, "They filled in their swimming pool!"  
     She asked, "Why does that make him a gangster?"
     "I mean, who does that?  Who fills in a swimming pool?", I smiled as I put the puzzle together for her and took a breath.  "How many bodies do you think are buried in the bottom?", I asked.
     "Maybe they just didn't want a pool anymore.  It's a lot of work."
     "Maybe. . .", I answered her.  ". . .they are gangsters!"

No comments: