Monday, August 26, 2013

Keep Moving

 Traffic is not a thing I've had to worry about very often but has become a bigger issue for me over the past several months with travel for work.  There is already a stretch of the interstate that I will not drive.   There are news headlines daily about wrecks in this particular stretch, often with lane closures.    As the alternative, I now take smaller highways and other "back roads" to get from place to place.   There is more stop and go traffic and, in some places, endless stop lights but it still better than sitting still on the interstate.  

Occasionally there will be a wreck blocking the highway I have chosen.  In those cases I make a quick turn onto a side road, turn on Google Maps, and keep driving.   Google will quickly figure out where I am and start re-routing me home.   Another innovation that Google is adding to maps is real time traffic updates with the location of accidents and construction.  Now I can review my route home and see where I may encounter traffic and if there is a wreck already in my path.   When I see that little red icon I know it's time to take a side road.

It's not always the shortest way when I invent these detours and sometimes I wonder if just sitting and waiting out the wreck would be faster.   Faster doesn't mean as much as keeping my foot on the gas.  The biggest issue is to be able to keep moving toward the goal of home.

Are you more likely to sit in traffic or find an alternate route?  

No comments: