Friday, August 09, 2013

Returning to the Woods

I've been really wanting to get out on anther backpacking trip this year and I have finally convinced my partner in these things to head out on a summer trip.

This trip will be in the Cohutta Wilderness area in North Georgia.   I haven't visited this area previously but when I heard that they have a trail that has you criss-crossing the river over 40 times I thought it would make for a great adventure.

We've created a loop that will cut the river crossings to a meager 18 but I think that should be enough adventure for us.   I've seen some videos from the Jack's River Trail and some of these crossings look like they could get close to waist deep.
There are a few additional concerns about what gear you take and how you pack for a trail that has you in and out of a river.  It's something I have been thinking a lot about this week.  Nearly everything will be bagged in plastic or a waterproof bag.  I already know that a wet sleeping bag is not something I'm interested in having.

I also need to make some decisions on shoes.  I will wear sandals for the watery section of the trail but I'm not sure how hiking the dry section in sandals would be.  I may need to carry my regular hiking shoes to use on the day of hiking in the dry.   At the moment I'm leaning toward carrying the least gear possible but taking care of your feet is important when you are going to be walking for two and a half days.

If everything goes well, we won't be chased by bears, fall into the river too many times, or lose our food to raccoons.   It's going to be great returning to the woods.


2 comments:

Mark said...

I've hiked with sandals during the warmer months and especially when I plan to stay on the trail (no bushwacking).

Hiking with sandals is much more comfortable for me, but I experienced two minor problems: the occasional rock and bug bites. I shake out the rock, and for the other I keep forgetting to use bug repellant.

Laura A said...

Good luck! Enjoy the trip!