Monday, April 28, 2014

Center Methodist Church

Exploring during lunch time is one of my favorite things to do while in a new place and I haven't been able to do much of it recently.  As I was driving toward Anderson recently I went through Townville, SC.   Just before Townville I passed by this church and noticed the large sign outside.
I made a quick U-turn and decided this would be my lunch spot.  The sign talks about how the site was used by the Pickens circuit of the Methodist conference for camp meetings prior to a church being built.

The building appeared to be locked up but I looked in the windows.  It was pretty typical for churches similar to this.  A very sparse room with neat rows of wooden pews.  At the front was an old piano and a a simple raised wooden pulpit.

I meandered in the cemetery for a while before leaving and came across some interesting discoveries.

This hand carved stone was hard to read but appears to be H. E. ????  Died June 1887.
There were also markers for veterans of various wars.

A marker for a CSA veteran.
An impressive marker for a WW1 vet.
"Sanford S. Cain Born July 23, 1896.  Wounded in France in the world war Sept 10th.  Died Sept 11, 1918.  Battery C 21st Field Artillery."
On the right side of the monument it says that his body was "Removed to the USA and buried in this cemetery May 30, 1921".
It was certainly one of the more interesting lunch breaks I've had in a while and I'm glad to have better weather so that I can get out and do more trips like this.


No comments: