Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Spring Cleaning the City

The city of Liberty held a community Spring clean up day this past Saturday to try and pick up liter along the main roads in town.

Cari and I felt like this would be a great event to participate in with the kids.  When we got down to the stadium Saturday morning we met up with the other volunteers.  Most of the city council members were there along with the police and fire departments.  The cub scout leader was there with a large group of energetic boys.

The mayor kicked off the event by describing the goals and the plan for the morning and then thanking everyone for coming out.

My family and I spent the next few hours collecting liter in town.  The police department kept cars near the groups of volunteers to keep traffic at a safe distance from us.  One of the highlights for our youngest was not picking up trash, but being invited to sit in one of the police cars.  The officer pulled up and asked her if she was getting bored.  She nodded and didn't hesitate to jump into the car.  I warned him that she talks a lot, which he confirmed twenty minutes later when I got her out of the car.

The group of volunteers collected a good amount of trash from all around downtown and toward the high school.

It would have been great to see more volunteers, but for our first event, I felt like we had a good turn out.   My kids asked me why we were doing this and I explained it like doing chores.

It takes everyone in our house to keep everything clean and updated.  That's why we all have chores.  It's the same way for the town we live in.  We all have a responsibility to do our part to improve the community.   

It was a worth while way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments: