Sunday, October 24, 2004

"Come inside. You are embarrassing your family!"

Have you ever been told that before? You are not alone.

Went out to cut the grass this morning. It was just under sixty degrees. I was wearing my pretty plaid shorts and a t-shirt. After getting the mower from the shed, I realized it was a bit cooler than I had anticipated. I ran inside, swung open the closet, and scanned for a sweatshirt. Hmmm. None that I see. Went to the dresser and picked up a shirt. It was a bit thicker than a t-shirt. Red with grey short sleeves. Cari hates this shirt. Having properly warming myself, I ran back out to cut the grass.
I'll spare you the details on grass cutting today and get to the end of my story.

I was putting the lawnmower back in the shed, now around eleven am. Cari, who had been inside cleaning up, came outside. From over at the porch, I hear this sound. I look up and see Cari standing there. A horrified look on her face. What am I missing?

"I didn't think we brought that shirt when we moved!", she said.
You would have thought I committed a crime from the tone of her voice.
I replied, "I didn't think so either. Guess we got lucky."

That's when she let me know this was no joking matter. She screamed over to me, "Come inside! You are embarrassing your family!"
Are you kidding me? Is my hair not combed right for mowing grass? Maybe the shoes don't go. I'm mowing grass, and I have committed such an atrocity. I have no fashion sense! What was I thinking? Oh, that's right. I was COLD.

Next time I will get wardrobe approval before I head out the door to check the mail.

So how did the story end? I went inside to change my clothes of course. (I put that shirt in the laundry, I sure hope it ends up back in my dresser. It's a warm shirt.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you got that shirt covered with grass stains... Unfortunately, I can't get it clean... Sorry.
I love you,
Cari