Friday, February 29, 2008

Conspiracy!

I was looking around on Google maps after making my post about being watched by security the other day. Here's a shot of the Oconee Nuclear station run by Duke Power.


View Larger Map

Did you notice the high resolution all around the plant? Duke property has been blurred out. If you zoom in, you will see the circle road with an off shoot near the bottom of the blurred section. That's where I was being watched.

At first, I thought, it makes sense that Google was asked to blur all nuclear sites as a matter of public safety. Then out of curiosity I searched for Turkey Point nuclear power plant near Homestead / Miami, Florida. It's run by Florida Power and Light. Here's what I found. -- I couldn't target the plant with google maps the way I wanted, so follow the road to the right a bit and you will see it.

View Larger Map

Perfectly clear!! You can zoom in at high resolution and see the two reactors clearly. Perhaps nuclear sites are not automaticaly blurred by Google. Perhaps it must be requested by the operator. Following that logic, Duke Power would have certainly requested all their nuclear sites be blurred. Right? How about we check out another site run by Duke Power.
McGuire Nuclear power plant is located near Charlotte, NC.


View Larger Map
Again. Very high resolution images of the grounds.

So what IS going on at Oconee Nuclear Station?

10 comments:

jen said...

Please post every day for the next few days so I know you haven't been hauled off. Or maybe tell Cari to post if you suddenly disappear... hehe...

Shawn Jennings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rakethetable said...

Just for clairfication (FBI/CIE/any other federal government watchdog).

rake does not know duck (well kinda).

I dont hang out at or near these places. I geocache.

(psss. Duck...leave it alone)

Anonymous said...

Ed,
Check out this global incident map and you can track the threats and remember they are always watching! LOL!

http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

Duck Hunter said...

You people are really freaking me out. First I get a comment linking to another map, then that person deletes their comment. Are they scared of being found?

Now, anonymous (probably smart to do that on this post), links to a scary map. It's worth pulling up to see all the scary icons flashing on the map. Scroll over them and see the activity around us.

I probably just got myself put on a "no fly" list. Good thing I don't have anywhere to go.

Poptart said...

Nice comment on RoadRunner's blog. He will need lots of luck.

rakethetable said...

On that globalincidentmap - I thought I saw a flashing light bulb over the Duke power plant in South Carolina - Was that you duck?

Anonymous said...

I've noticed those inconsistencies with blurring, too. For example, the White House is perfectly clear, but Cheney's residence is blurred out. I guess we know who's REALLY in power.

Just north of Belton there are some large gas storage tanks. I think it's a distribution center of some sort. That area is also blurred out.

Aaron said...

An interesting read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_images_censored_by_Google_Maps

Your power plant is on "the list".

It does pose an interesting question, why censor?

Aaron said...

From Duke Energy's website:
http://www.duke-energy.com/power-plants/nuclear/oconee.asp

"Safety and security are top priority at all Duke Energy nuclear power plants."

And they aren't screwing around. ;)

So with some patience and several different Google searches, I came across this:
http://www.ewg.org/node/18346

Apparently (with additional reading), the power plant was listed as one of the most vulnerable plants post-9/11 and since they have a bunch of spent Uranium just laying around on site, they upped their security measures.