Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Virginia Hawkins!


On Monday, Cari and I (and baby), were able to get back out on a hike.  This time we headed up to the mountains in search of adventure.

After taking my car on a single lane gravel road for a few miles, we found the parking area next to a partially collapsed ridge.  The adventure had begun!

Other than hiking on an old road bed, we found that the trail wasn't marked very well, and we referred back to our paper notes frequently for the first half mile.  At one point, we backtracked a bit, and then decided we were right to start with, so we traveled that bit again.

Some of the adventures that we came across included:
Jumping three small creeks, bathroom breaks in the woods, losing a baby mitten, and getting chased by a bear.

Alright, one of those may not be exactly true.  But this hike was still a great adventure.

The mile trail stayed near the water much of the time and was a gorgeous hike.  Before long, we arrived at the Virginia Hawkins waterfall and it is an amazing site.


It has been raining a lot here lately, giving the creek plenty of water to dump off the rocky cliff.  I scrambled down a hill to get some photos while Cari stayed back a bit and fed the baby some snacks.


The way back up felt much harder.  Turns out we were headed downhill most of the way to the falls.  During my hike back up the hill, Brenna fell asleep strapped to my back and she slouched over to the side.  She suddenly felt much heavier.


It was really great to get out and get a good hike with my love.


On top of all the adventure we found today,  I think I found a great location for some future backpacking adventures.  Anyone up for a drive to South Carolina?

2 comments:

Tom said...

I'm not familiar with these falls. I'll have to check that out sometime.

BTW, your Facebook RSS feed looks like it's working well.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

It looks like you had a great time! What a beautiful waterfall!